- No more chemo. Dr. Curley feels the tumor is now manageable and operable. More chemo at this point would require more time to recover from the damages of chemo thus putting surgery off longer.
- James will take the next four weeks to prepare his body for surgery. Low fat/High protein diet and daily exercise are a must. Chemotherapy is hard on all organs especially the lungs, kidneys and liver. Over the next month, James' liver will have a chance to rest and his lungs will have a chance to heal from any damage the chemo has done.
- After we see Dr. Coscio tomorrow, we will know for sure but as it stands now, James is scheduled to have surgery March 17 at MD Anderson Downtown. Dr. Curley will remove the right lobe of the liver which includes the gallbladder. Surgery will last 2-3 hours. James will be hospitalized for 5-7 days following surgery.
- Recovery will take 6-8 weeks. The liver is the only organ in the human body to regenerate itself. The regeneration process only takes about six week during which James can expect to be pretty tired and worn down. Due to the nature of his work, the doctors are not likely to release him to return to work for ten weeks after surgery to ensure complete healing inside and out.
- According to Dr. Curley, chemo after surgery is still possible.